People pay you to tell them what to do, right?
I’ve heard this line numerous times since I began coaching. So, I set out to find a simple answer to the question: “What is coaching?”
Seems like an easy question but it proved to be more complicated than I thought. So here is my attempt to bring clarity around this tricky question.
What is Coaching?
Coaching is a powerful partnership between a coach and their client. It allows the client to get a clear and honest understanding about what they really want. It works, because it’s all about the client. When people connect with what they really want and why they want it, they find the path that empowers them to act.
Through deep listening and thoughtful questions, a coach partners with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.
Coaching Is Not Therapy
Here are some of the differences between coaching and therapy:
- Coaches do not stay in the past with their clients to resolve pain or conflict rather they look towards the future.
- Coaches know that their clients already have the answers. The answers to all questions lie within. They empower their clients to solve their own problems and create action plans to move forward.
- Coaches do not diagnose their clients with conditions. Rather, they identify inner and outer blocks that may be holding them back.
What is the coaching process?
There are many models of coaching but all share similar stages that the client will go through. These stages include:
- Increasing self-awareness by helping the client bypass their ego.
- Gaining clarity around what they really want, why it is important and what is holding them back.
- Changing their mindset to make conscious choices. New ways of thinking and behaving are created.
- Setting their plans into action. Along with self-awareness; accountability is created. Clients become committed and energized to set their plans into action
What is my coaching methodology?
My methodology of coaching is aligned with the Core Energy Coaching Process, which is unique within the profession of coaching. It is a deep and transformational coaching process and is supported by nearly twenty years of research and development in the field of science of human potential and consciousness.
The process helps clients better manage their lives, create greater fulfillment, identify and live their dreams. It focuses on change and accepts that change will always occur. Change may not be controllable but our impressions of it and reactions to it are.
By challenging people to take the time to focus on what they really want, they begin to recognize and break through what is holding them back from achieving success however they define what success means to them. People are tired of doing what they “should” do and desire to experience a fuller life by doing what they “choose” to do. Coaches who are trained by the Institute for Professional Excellence in Coaching (iPEC) help clients do just that – create and experience the life of their choosing.
Next up…. What is Energy Leadership Coaching?